VP, New FA Development and Acquisition
D.A. Davidson & Co is a full-service investment firm. The Individual Investor Group is composed of 3 regions with 63 branches and over 400 Financial Advisors (FAs). The Advisor Solutions Team which is part of the Individual Investor Group and assists Financial Advisors in building and developing their business. The VP, New FA Development and Acquisition is responsible for implementing programs that contribute to the learning and professional development of the IIG division’s workforce. This individual will plan, deliver, and manage the training and development of the division with the goal of improving productivity and growing revenues.
Individual filling this position should have the following qualifications:
- Excellent communication (oral and written), strong project management skills, and the ability to collaborate with peers across multiple business lines and departments.
- Seasoned knowledge of the principles and methods for training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups.
- Ability to passionately deliver training to new financial advisors and inspire them to action.
- Have strong personal network which will serve as foundation for new Financial Advisor sourcing opportunities.
- Have coaching credential, or have completed coursework in coaching and/or have previous coaching experience.
- Leadership capabilities to see projects and initiatives to completion and to carry out the mission of the Practice Management & Professional Development department.
- Ability to travel to Great Falls, Montana for multi-weeklong periods of time for delivery of in-person Training, as well as ability to travel to other branches as needed.
- Prior management experience; a minimum of 8-10 years of financial industry experience as well as previous experience as a Financial Advisor preferred; equivalent sales experience will be considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience.
- Series 7 and 66 licenses or the ability to complete within 6 months of hire.
- Recruiting Trainee Financial Advisors
- Source trainee candidates, with a focus on the “Ideal Candidate” into various training programs and support the sourcing of candidates across various IIG locations.
- This includes, but is not limited to: attending and speaking at networking events, utilizing personal centers of influence to tell the D. A. Davidson story, and working with our Branch Managers and Financial Advisors to identify new FA candidates, etc.
- Program Execution and Management
- Design, develop and implement training and development programs based on the division’s needs and those of the individual. Amend and revise programs as necessary in order to adapt to changes occurring in the industry and organization.
- Oversee and manage the IIG summer intern program, including candidate interviews and selection.
- Oversee and manage the Apprentice Financial Advisor program, including sourcing candidates, executing the panel interview process, onboarding these individuals and providing ongoing mentorship and guidance throughout their three-year terms. In addition, help align these Apprentices with a Financial Advisor team.
- Coaching Engagement
- Coach FAs interested in bringing on a Team Trainee and, together, determine the appropriate solution, including compensation, team structure, business growth, etc.
- Devise and actively manage a process whereby the progress of trainees may be monitored and reviewed through metrics tracking and discussions with their branch managers.
- Provide proactive ongoing mentorship and accountability for Trainee Financial Advisors, after their in-person training has been completed.
- Provide, in conjunction with the Branch Manager, sales leadership for Financial Advisor trainees through coaching, business building ideas and council.
- Strategic Activities
- Identify training and development needs through job analysis, appraisal schemes and regular consultation with business managers and the Human Capital department. Advise, implement and, as needed, develop training material for in-house courses.
- Develop and implement short and long-range department objectives. Stay within budget and control expenses.
- Assess the return on investment for the training and development that is provided.
- Develop effective on-boarding programs for Trainee Financial Advisors.
- Keep current with developments in training by reading relevant journals, going to meetings/seminars and attending relevant courses.
- Maintain an understanding of e-learning techniques, and where applicable, participate in the creation and/or delivery of e-learning packages.
- Collaborate with the Practice Management & Professional Development Department and provide support for broader firm initiatives as needed.
- Other duties as assigned